Who is ActiveMatch for?
This free online service is available to any woman in Canada who has had a cancer diagnosis (whether newly diagnosed, in treatment, a recent or long-term survivor, or living with metastatic disease).
How do I get started? How does ActiveMatch work?
- The first step is to sign up online to join ActiveMatch. You will be asked to create a username and password (please don’t use your email as your username, as it will be visible to the other members!) and provide some basic information.
- You’ll then be sent a confirmation email with a link. Click the link to confirm your email address; the link will take you directly to the page(s) where you create your personal profile.
- Creating your profile involves answering a few questions that will help other members get to know you (for example, your current level of activity, favourite activities, etc). Please include a photo — this helps the other women connect with you and feel more comfortable.
- Within 24 hours (likely much sooner) from the time you submit your profile, you will receive an email notification that your profile has been approved. Click the link in the email and or visit the login page of the ActiveMatch website to log in with your username and password.
- Once you’ve logged in, you can search for a partner by browsing all profiles or you can limit the profiles you see by age, distance from you (postal code), or cancer type/location. Once you have found someone you would like to get to know, send her a message using the purple ‘Message‘ button and she will receive an email notification that you have contacted her.
- Get to know each other and decide together how you want to begin supporting one another (in person or virtually).
If you want more detailed instructions, the video below offers a step-by-step guide to signing up and creating a profile.
Is it easy to register and create a profile?
Yes! The video below offers a step-by-step guide to registering and creating your ActiveMatch profile:
Is this program available across Canada?
Yes it is. We have targeted Ontario as a starting point for getting the word out about ActiveMatch, so women outside of Ontario might have a harder time finding a match who lives near them (until more women from other communities and provinces / territories join ActiveMatch).
While we work on introducing ActiveMatch to women in other areas, we highly encourage you to connect with someone who can offer support via phone, text, or email (i.e., a ‘virtual’ exercise partner).
Are you interested in helping us to advertise ActiveMatch in your community? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Is ActiveMatch safe and secure? Will all of my personal information be kept private?
ActiveMatch has multiple layers of safety and security (e.g. screening questions to detect fraudulent profiles). ActiveMatch is housed on a secure webspace that requires registration and approval by the ActiveMatch administration team. Personal information will not be visible to people searching the web or non-members. Safeguards are in place to protect confidential information in compliance with all laws and regulations to prevent any unauthorized use or disclosure of data.
As an ActiveMatch member, you have a unique username associated with your profile, so you and other members can message one another through the ActiveMatch system (rather than by personal email). Your contact information is kept confidential, so it is up to you whether you want to share any personal contact information with your potential exercise partners!
Can I choose which information is displayed on my profile?
Only ActiveMatch members will see your profile. The following information is displayed on your personal profile: Username, age, your ‘About You’ introduction, reasons for wanting an exercise partner, fitness level, fitness motivation, personality, favourite activities, preferred exercise location, top reasons for wanting to be active, cancer type, treatment status, treatment description, and whether you are part of another support group or wellness program. Women identified this information as being helpful / important when choosing an exercise partner.
Information that is NOT displayed or available to any users: Your postal code. Your postal code is used to identify your proximity to potential matches, but it won’t be visible as part of your profile.
Do I need to upload a photo to my profile?
ActiveMatch members are not required to upload a photo, but it is very highly recommended. Seeing a face on the profile helps tremendously in enabling women to feel safe and secure in connecting with / meeting one another.
How do I update my profile and profile picture?
You can update your profile and picture at any time. Here’s how:
- From www.activematch.ca, click the Login button at the top of your screen.
- Log in with your username and password.
- Click on the My Profile button at the top of screen.
- You will see purple buttons on the right side of the screen.
- Select the Edit My Profile button to change or add to your profile. Save Profile when you are done.
- Select the Upload A Photo button to add a picture or change your picture.
How do I connect with someone / find a match?
When you log in, you will see a display of all the profiles in the system. You can use the filtering system to enter criteria (e.g., age or distance from you). When you click “Search” and ActiveMatch will generate a list of possible matches. Click the name of the woman whose profile you want to see in more detail.
If it seems like they might be a good exercise partner match for you, click “Message” to send a private message to that member! The member will get an email letting her know that someone from ActiveMatch has messaged her. You can continue to message each other through the system and then decide together how to get started.
What if I don’t see anyone who would be a good fit for me?
We are working to promote ActiveMatch to as many women as possible so that you can find your ideal match. The more women that sign up, the more choices there will be. If you cannot find a match, we encourage you to broaden your search criteria (e.g., increase age range and/or distance from you).
If you cannot find anyone that lives nearby, you may still enjoy finding a ‘virtual’ exercise partner who can offer support and encouragement over the phone, through emails, and/or by text. This can help keep you accountable to your exercise plans!
What if I message someone and they don’t message back?
We’re sorry to hear that you’ve been kept wondering / waiting! The member(s) you messaged might have missed the email notification that they have a new ActiveMatch message waiting for them (sometimes the notifications get filtered out of members’ email inboxes). We hope you’ll get a reply from the member soon, but if it’s been a while and you haven’t heard back, please consider messaging someone else (i.e., another potential match) too.
If you have tried to connect with several members and haven’t heard anything back, please send us a note at email@example.com and we’ll help out.
What if I want to exercise with more than one woman?
Great! If you want to put together an exercise group, we encourage that too. You can message as many women as you want through the system and when you are ready, you can exchange emails and other contact information and form your group.
What about if someone messages me in a way that’s inappropriate?
Please report any issues immediately to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will take the appropriate steps to contact and remove the user from the system. You can also go to a profile and click “Report Offensive Profile” and we will receive this notification immediately.
I had an ActiveMatch account, but now I’m having trouble logging in. What do I do?
Our login page has ‘forgot your username’ and ‘forgot your password’ options. If that doesn’t work (and you’ve checked your junk folder in case the email notification went there!), please contact us email@example.com
Does ActiveMatch provide suggested exercises?
ActiveMatch is focused on helping you to find an exercise partner rather than suggesting specific exercises (we respect that our members have different preferences, experiences, and goals when it comes to exercise). That said, we get that it can be tricky to know where to start, so we have developed an exercise resources page for you. Check it out to see exercise-related tips and links to exercise programs near you.
I still have a question! Who do I contact?
If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We would love to hear from you!